Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Secret

I had someone ask me the other day what my "secret" to all the weight I've lost is. I chuckled. Everyone wants to know the magical tip or secret method you used to accomplish something noticeable. Whether it's making lots of money, losing weight or acquiring a skill, there must be a "secret" that help you achieve your goal, right?

The secret is that there's no secret. Real, long-term weight loss doesn't come from fad diets or magic fat-burning pills. It comes from hard, hard, HARD work and sacrifice. In fact, that's how most meaningful things in life come about.

I've been thinking over the last few days and trying to transport myself back into the person I was over seven months ago when I started my weight-loss journey. What was it that clicked back then that didn't so many other times when I'd tried before?

The only answer I could come up with was that I was sick and tired. Fed up. Frustrated beyond the point of ignoring the problem. That, and I set a long-term, seemingly outrageous goal: to run a half marathon in under two hours.

A little over 60 hours from now, that seven months of work and training will come to fruition and withing the course of only a few hours I'll fulfill a goal I set over half a year ago.

If you're looking for a secret to accomplish a goal you want to go after, don't look anywhere but inside yourself. YOU are the secret to accomplishing your goals and dreams. If you really dig deep and figure out you finally want it bad enough, you can do just about anything your heart is set on. It's just a matter of doing what it takes and never quitting until you get there.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting. I've tried over and over in my life to be physically fit. When the time came, the time came. I was finally ready.

    But you're right. There is no secret. While I haven't had problems with my weight, eating right and being fit is a challenge for me. It's just a lot of hard, hard work. Anyway. Don't really know what to say except that I'm enjoying your posts and best of luck on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nick. That's the funny thing. Even though my goal is almost here and after Saturday, there's no race to work towards, the work is never done.

    Getting healthy is about changing your life, not dieting.

    ReplyDelete